Saturday, September 25, 2010

Carsen Faith Schmeelk has arrived...



So our newest addition arrived yesterday!!! This is how is all went down:
So I went to the doctor on Thursday for my ultrasound and regular doctors visit. I had a feeling I was either going to be induced or she was going to let me go on to my due date but I didn't know for sure it all just depended on if Carsen had grown or not. So in the ultrasound while doing the measurements they realized that she hadn't grown really any since her last ultrasound that they took measurements at....so really in two weeks.....I mean....I had grown but I guess they wanted a significant growth to have happened. Anyways, my midwife said, "well you ready to go have a baby, she hasn't grown any and you are past 38 weeks so we need to go ahead and get her out of you, she will grow better outside the belly!" I actually was okay with it at that point, I was ready to meet her and not be uncomfortable any longer. So I left the doc's office and made arrangments and called all the family. Grant met me at home and we packed out bags and then my Dad met me there also to get Braylen, etc. We left to head down to the hospital around 1:30.....got checked in around 3:00 and then the midwife came to check me out and just decided to give me the cervidal and let my cervix ripen over night. I was already dialated 2 cm, but she felt like the process would be easier if we went that route....we were okay with it considering if she went straight to induction, it would have been a late night. So....my best friend Lauren brought us dinner and Grant, Lauren, and I just hung out Thursday evening.......letting everything sink in.

They woke me up at 4:00am took the cervidal out, gave me an enama and then I did my business, showered and was back in bed at 5:00.....! Grant and I slept for another hour and then they gave me the pitocin in the 6:00 hour. By that time I was awake and ready for things to start happening. Grant left the room around 7:00am to go get breakfast and walk around and do some business (as usual...ha) At 7:00 is when I first started to feel contractions and as time went on they were getting stronger. The doctor came in around 8:30 to check me and said I was 3cm...so I was SLOWLY progressing, so they uped the pitocin. During the 9:00 hour contractions were getting heavy and were every 2-3 minutes....the nurse (who we LOVED...Shanda) actually came in and knocked the pitocin down a little because she said I was contracting TOO much.....I was thankful....because I was starting to debate on when I was getting some meds. I then started setting mini goals in my head....just make it to 10:00 and see how you feel....which then turn to 11:00. The 10:00 hour was full on contractions and I was hurting.....breathing and humming through them. I kept telling Grant, I don't want to be a woose but this hurts and I don't know how long I am going to last....lol. So I waited till 11:00 and they ordered the epidural and it was administered between 11:00-11:30. At 12:00, the doctor came in to check me and break my water....I was 5cm at that time. And the epidural kicked in just in time for her to break my water....which I wanted to be on meds for.....considering last time it hurt SO BAD! But anyways....during the 12:00 hour, Grant and his mom went to lunch and I rested and then my mom showed up about 12:30.......! The nurse then came in and said....are you feeling any pressure and right when she said that I said...actually I am....and she said let me check you, I think you might be ready to have this baby! So she checked me and I was 9cm...she went to get doctor, they set up shop at 1:00 and then at 1:20 she was born.
How the process went down: They told me to do a practice round of pushing during 1 contraction...so I pushed 3 times during 1 contraction and then she said you will have this baby on the next contraction......I was like WHAT.......that quick....so I laughed.....the doctor said.....don't laugh, she is about to fall out. So next contraction, i pushed once and they said...don't push anymore because her head is out...we have to clean her up and pull her out........so all in all....it really was like 5-8 minutes of pushing Carsen out......it was CRAZY! And what was more crazy is that I went from a 5 to a 9 in less than an hour. I will say, the doctor had two surgeries before she came to break my water so we think Carsen would have been here sooner if the doctor would have come in earlier.
So Carsen was born at 1:20pm on September 24th 2010. She weighed 5lbs 14 oz and was 17.5 inches long! She is so cute and we think she has more Bodie in her than Schmeelk but time will tell! We are in complete aww of her and are truely BLESSED. GOD is AMAZING and has given us an amazing miracle who is PERFECT in our eyes! We can't wait to share her with the world!
*** Oh and Braylen did excellent with her....she loved on her and wanted to hold her.....she loves that she has a LIVE babydoll....lol! More updates to come!















5 comments:

The Lichtenberg's said...

CONGRATS!!! She is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe how fast the whole process was! We can't wait to meet the newest addition and i'm so glad to hear Braylen's doing so well with her little Sister too!

Julie said...

Love this!! Congratulations! We can't wait to meet her in a few months!!
Love you guys! Glad all went well!

Becka said...

Oh, I so needed this! I needed the full story. I am just tickled for you guys! Sending you a lot of love!

Even God Is Single said...

I have tears in my eyes!! I'm so excited for you guys. She's beautiful. Bray's going to be such a great big sister.

XOXO

Kim said...

Congratulations! She is so cute and you look awesome! I am so glad that Braylen is doing so well with her new sister.